• October 4Mary Catherine Collins crowned 2018 Homecoming Queen

• May 24Congratulations Class of 2017

• February 13Congratulations to the Girls Basketball team for winning area championships

Helena High School Welcomes New Teachers to the Pack

Kinsley Crowson

Each year, the schools hire new teachers to fill vacant spots or add new units to the faculty. This year, HHS added several teachers to the faculty.
Joining HHS in the math department are four new teachers. They are Ms.Zoe Morris, Mr. William Weatherford, Mrs. Ashley Price and Mr .Grant Addison.
Ms. Morris is in her third year teaching and graduated college from Auburn University. She teaches Algebra 1 and Algebra 1B. Ms. Morris says, “I hope to build relationships with my students in order to be successful in pushing them to do far more than they thought they could. I want to see my students successful in and outside of my classroom. I want them to take what has been taught, content or life skills, and apply it to their lives beyond the classroom.”
Also new this year is Mr.Weatherford who has been teaching for fifteen years. He graduated from Mussel Shoals High School. He attended University of North Alabama where he received his Bachelor of Science degree in mathematics and attended University of Montevallo for his Masters of Education in Instructional Leadership. He has taught at Dallas County High School, Pleasant Grove High School, Chelsea High School, and Gulf Shores High School. Mr.Weatherford is the defensive coordinator for varsity football and sponsors the indoor track and outdoor track teams. He teaches calculus and geometry.
Ms.Ashley Price is also a new teacher at HHS. She graduated college from Troy University. She started college with the goal of becoming a pharmacist because of the salary. She realized halfway through her freshman year that her ultimate goal was to teach high school math so that she could help make a difference. This is her sixth year teaching. She says, “I enjoy working in the high school setting because I think that kids are impacted the most during their high school years. I think it is very vital for kids to make good decisions, and I hope to inspire them to be lifelong learners.” When she is outside the classroom, she spends time with her husband and their three animals, Marco, Polo, and Remi. Mrs.Price teaches geometry and algebraic connections.
Mr. Grant Addison graduated high school at Winfield City High School in Winfield, Alabama. He was inspired to be a teacher because he wanted to be able to have an impact on the lives of his students by being a good role model both inside and outside of the classroom. As a student he played baseball and was in Future Business Leaders of America. He is an assistant football and assistant baseball coach this year. He has taught at Hoover High School. Mr. Addison says, “I just want to see my students be the best they can be in and out of the classroom.” Mr. Addison teaches Algebra II this year.
This school year we have a new health teacher named William Sexton. This is his seventh year teaching. He graduated college from Troy University. If he was not a teacher, he would probably be involved in sports in some capacity. He would perhaps be an athletic trainer or be involved in some type of performance, strength and conditioning, etc. He has also considered a career in law enforcement in the past. He will be coaching football, basketball, and golf.
Joining Helena High School in the history department are three new teachers. They are Ms.Shelby Morrow, Mr. Richard Anderson, and Mr. Klark Sammis.
Ms. Morrow used to coach dance and baton twirling. She loved seeing students improve on their skills and accomplish big things. This is Ms. Morrow’s first official year teaching, but she interned at Northside High School last year. Ms. Morrow says, “I hope I can share my love of learning with young people and help them become successful in whatever they do.” She will be teaching career prep and tenth grade social studies.
Mr.Anderson graduated from Auburn University with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and a minor in English and religion. He is a football coach, and he is coaching track this year. As a student he played football and baseball in high school, and he was the school photographer for the yearbook and newspaper. Mr.Anderson says, “My goal is to have a positive impact on my students each and every day. That comes with have high expectations for my students. I want them to be the best version of them, they can be.” He will be teaching AP U.S. History for tenth grade.
Mr. Klark Sammis graduated high school from Gainesville High School in Gainesville, Florida. When he is not in the classroom, he likes to hang out with his wife Mary and his son Michael, fish, play soccer, football, golf, and loves to travel. This is his third year teaching. He says he hopes to achieve “a positive impact on students’ futures, and increase interest in Social Science.” He has taught at Strawberry Crest High School and Alonso High School. Both are in Tampa, Florida. He will be teaching world history this year.
Joining HHS in the Special Education department are two new teachers. They are Ms. Chelsey Hosmer, and Mr. Maurice Whiting.
Ms. Hosmer went to Auburn University for her undergraduate degree and just completed her master’s degree from the University of West Alabama. She loves cooking/baking, being outdoors, hiking, traveling, taking her dog on adventures, and playing sports. She also loves a good nap or Netflix binge. She says, “I just think high school is fun! It is a fun and applicable curriculum for my students (a lot about life skills and job skills), and I like how teachers and students can relate to each other in high schools.” She has never seriously considered another career. She has joked that in another life she would have opened her own bakery and baked all day. She thinks that would be a fun job except for the business side of it. She also says, “the goal for all of my students is to help them reach their highest level of independence possible. This level is different for each student I work with, but I want to help them realize their potential and help them reach it. Ultimately, I hope that at the end of the day, my students know that I love them and will do anything I can for them.” She is an assistant coach for the girls basketball team this year.
Mr. Whiting attended Montevallo for his undergraduate degree and Grand Canyon University for his master’s. This is his second year teaching. He coaches football and wrestling this year. He has taught at Vincent Middle High School. He says he hopes, “to mold young people into productive citizens.” He chose to work at a high school because he felt that he would have more impact on a student’s future. He will be teaching 10th grade special education.
This year at HHS, there is a new Spanish teacher. Her name is Amy Wood. She attended Auburn University for her undergraduate degree and UAB for her master’s degree. She says, “My mom was an elementary school teacher for 20+ years. Watching her invest in kids made me want to do the same.” When she is not in the classroom or grading papers, she loves watching college football, traveling, reading, writing, and spending time with her family. She hopes to achieve investing in young people in such a way that they will go out into the real world and invest in others. She has taught at Homewood High School, Evangel Classical Christian School, and Thompson Middle School. She will be helping with the debate team this year. She wanted to work at a high school because she likes working with teenagers and loves watching them mature from adolescents into adults.
Joining HHS in the science department are three new teachers. They are Ms.Dozier, Mr.Winstead, and Mr.Bice.
Ms.Dozier received a bachelor’s in healthcare administration from The University of Alabama at Birmingham and a Masters in Secondary Education from Samford University. She loves to spend time with her family, her 2 dogs, and shopping. This year is her first full school year. She says, “ I hope to achieve greatness! I hope to empower my students and give them necessary life skills and hopefully a desire to seek STEM career fields.” She hasn’t taught anywhere other than HHS. She will sponsor Robotics and will be joining the soccer coaches. Ms. Dozier will be teaching biology this year.
Mr. Winstead is originally from Gulfport, Mississippi. He graduated from Gulfport East High School. He went to college at Mississippi College in Clinton, MS. He played football and track and tournament water skiing through high school and track in college. This is his twelfth year teaching. He says he wants to “positively impact young people.” Mr. Winstead will be teaching environmental science and forensics this year.
Mr. Adam Bice is in his fifth year of teaching. He graduated college from Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss. He attended Sumiton Christian High School just south of Jasper, Al. While working baseball camps and doing volunteer work when he was in college, he really enjoyed the energy and spirit that goes along with being around high school students. They are just a fun group of people to be around. He’s a pretty high energy person and working in that environment excited him. He taught at Fultondale High School his first 4 years. In school he planned on going into forestry post grad. He says, “I hope to encourage those I teach and coach to be more than average. Everyone wants to excel when it’s something they enjoy. Excel even when you do not enjoy it.” Mr. Bice will be teaching seven periods of physical science.
The Husky pack welcomes you to Helena High School!